Doula: [Du : la] Noun Someone who supports you through pregnancy and puts a superhero cape on you for birth
My role as your doula is to be there for you and your birth partner as practical, emotional and informational support before, during and after birth.
I will help and encourage you to find the strength to experience your labour in the best way possible, to feel confident and assured as your labour and birth unfolds. I will encourage and reassure you when you need it most, removing any fear that you may have and building control as your labour progresses. I will coach and assist you and your birth partner with your hypnobirthing techniques so that you can focus only on each contraction as they come and go.
As your labour progresses what feels good and is needed will change and I will be your guide to discover what comes next. You will have my undivided attention and I will protect your birth space from distraction, ensuring the environment is just right for you and your birth partner. If needed I will help you communicate your needs to the medical team that supports you.
How can a doula help towards a positive birth experience?
- improved satisfaction and happier memory of childbirth
- shorter or less strenuous labour and generally less intervention
- less likelihood of ventouse and forceps births
- reduced likelihood of an emergency caesarean birth
- easier transition into parenthood and improved bonding
- improved interaction between a couple
What is NOT included in doula support?
As a doula I am not medically trained and I do not give any kind of advice. I will not:
- Carry out any midwifery tasks such as vaginal exams or monitoring the baby’s heart tone
- Diagnose conditions
- Make decisions on behalf of their clients
- Pressure or try to convince their clients to do what they consider to be the best thing
- Take over the partner’s role but offers support to them as well
- Usually change shifts or leave after a certain number of hours
My Doula Package
- Initial 'Get To Know Me' Session
- Full 10hr Antenatal Hypnobirthing Course with Doula Preparation
- On Call Support From 38 Weeks
- In Person Birth Support Through Labour
- Birth Reflection Session
- Closed Private Facebook Group
- You are invited over to my teaching studio for your initial meeting where we can talk about how I can support you and you can ask me as many questions as you need. There is no question too small here! If you decide that I am the right doula for you then we can start to plan timings for your antenatal sessions. There is no obligation from this session at all.
- As part of your package you will receive 4 x 2.5 hour hypnobirthing sessions including all supporting MP3's and a course book. During these sessions we will chat about the kind of birth that you hope for, as your pregnancy progresses plans will start to firm up regarding where you would like to birth and any medical notes that we may need to factor in.
- I will be on call for your birth between 38 and 42 weeks and will provide you with numbers to contact me.
- We will regularly catch up and once your labour has started I will come to your home to support you, moving to hospital if you have chosen to birth there or assisting with your home birth set up. There are no time limits to your birth attendance. I will stay with you until after your have birthed your baby and you are settled.
- When you are settled at home and are happy for me to visit I will come over for a birth reflection meeting.
Ready to find out more?
Choosing a doula is a big decision, call me today on 07930 830130 or click the contact button to talk about how I can support you and your birth partner.